Friday, February 26, 2010

Bow tie 'round my neck / That's why they call me the gangsta mack / In the Cadillac! Yeah!

I've noticed that so far almost every president has worn a similar type of necktie. They aren't exactly bow ties of this variety, or this, but more like long scarves wrapped around the neck and tied in a bow. Obviously, the sartorial choices of our nation's forefathers aren't really a central point of interest for most historians (so what this is a propos of, I'm not exactly sure--but then again, this blog wasn't created in the pursuit of great historical truths). Still it got me thinking about neckties. How did this particular fashion persist for over half a century, while women's fashion seems to evolve more dramatically in the same period? Maybe they served a function-- like holding up collars, before good starch or collar stays were easily available? Or maybe the White House was drafty and these types of neckties warded off the humid morning chill in Washington? Or maybe they were just about vanity? Ah, to be a costume/textile historian! Where did I go astray?

This morning, I spent about ten minutes trying to teach myself how to do this:





I think I've got it down.

On the MTV show "Teen Mom," there was a necktie-related scene that brought me to tears. For the record, I don't think I've ever watched an entire "Teen Mom" episode start-to-finish because I find it too emotionally taxing and I find our nation's fascination with teen pregnancy (see, e.g., here) borderline creepy. Nevertheless, in this particular episode, one young father, Tyler, is getting ready to take Catelynn (his baby mama) out to a fancy dinner, where he plans to propose to her. When he talks to Catelynn's mother to ask for her blessing, the mother sagely advises him not to throw up. (A bit of background: this couple gave up their baby in a semi-open adoption, much to the dismay of their respective families.) Catelynn has braces and an asymmetrical 'do. Tyler looks like he hasn't hit puberty yet, and wears his hair in a spikey buzz, somewhat reminiscent of this young fellow. They both appear heartbreakingly young, which I suppose they are. For this special occasion, Tyler has put on a suit and Catelynn wears a prom dress, loads of sparkly make-up and mascara. When Tyler tries putting on a necktie he realizes that he doesn't know how to do it. Neither does his father (an ex-con, with a seriously amazing mullet). Eventually, Catelynn steps in to help, using an Internet video as a guide. The moment is unexpectedly tender: the necktie as symbol of aspiration for a more stable future. Two young people, forced prematurely into adulthood, taking on the trappings of adulthood on their own terms...

That is all for the necktie digression. The next president in the line-up, James Buchanan, sports a similar necktie to his predecessors but it's white! How dramatic. I take my kicks where I can get them.

1 comment: